LOGUE

Publication Design - January 2019

BRIEF

The brief was to create any kind of Publication (Coffee Table Book/ Magazine) on any topic of choice. I decided to make a satireical magazine called "LOGUE"

ABOUT

The informal economy is a major force in India and around the world. Informal workers are as varied, unique, and individually complicated as workers in the formal economy. The loose demographic includes domestic workers, waste pickers, drivers, artisans, construction workers, vendors and anyone else who makes money outside of the formal economy. It includes millions of people worldwide. they work in a cash economy, have unstable wages, and are often left out of the systems. From the maids who clean our houses to the chai walas on the corner of the street, we heavily rely on informal workers. They form 81% of India’s employed and help the other 19% run their lives.

 

This magazine  is an attempt at identifying these individuals and peeking into their lives. I chose to satirise celebrity magazines because they cover intimate stories of people who have the luxury of talking about their lives. These voices, faces, and contexts can serve as inspiration as we look towards future opportunities for design and empowerment in the intersection of informal workers and health.

magazine cover for website-01.png

WHY

I was reading a celebrity magazine one day and as I flipped through the pages of endless articles about minute details from their lives, I thought to myself- “Do I even care?” Do I even care about the time Chrissy Teigen got her second plastic surgery or Kim Kardashian named her child Saint West? I ideally shouldn’t, but apparently I do. And so do millions of others who read these magazines. Now this isn’t to say that all stories from celebrity magazines are pointless but most of them just feed into our voyeurestic

sensibilities. This is when I thought about it; a magazine about issues that matter. A magazine that mocks celebrity magazines. So, I started working on it. The magazine is about people and my core objective behind this project was to talk about these non- informal workers and give the readers a peek into their lives in the most unbiased way possible. The magazine still embodies the satire on celebrity magazines. 

SPREADS

magazine pages-09.png
magazine pages-03.png
magazine pages-04.png
magazine pages-01.png
magazine pages-02.png
magazine pages-06.png
magazine pages-07.png
magazine pages-08.png

THE MIT FITTING ROOM

Data Visualisation     Classroom Project     1 week     February, 2018

magazine pages-05.png

BRIEF

The brief was to choose a topic our choice. Find data, interpret it. 

ABOUT

The topic I have chosen is about the pressures college students face in college. 90% of the college students experience some form of pressure to fit into a particular peer group. The social experience of young adults is massively complex as compared to that of fully-developed adults. This is evidenced both by scientific research and casual observation of social cues.

mit fitting room illustration-01.png

“The MIT Fitting Room” is partly an experimental study for the data visualisation course and partly a way for letting people know that it's okay for them to be themselves, and they're not the only ones struggling. The method of collecting data is such that the people who partake in the survey will be able to see how many others succumb to similar pressures, whilst maintaining the anonymity of the participants. They'll be asked to wound threads (colour corresponding to a particular pressure) around pegs on a board which will be questions about their age, discipline, etc.

PROCESS

1. An online pre-survey to gain insight about the most common social pressures, thus determining what parameters to be involved for the live data collection.

2. A two day live data collection in the college foyer using threads and soft boards.

3. The outcome; number of students that feel the need to fit in, the most common method of doing so, the most common age group to succumb to pressure, etc.

OUTCOME

For the final outcome, students will enter the fitting room in the foyer. They will choose the thread corresponding to the activity they partake in, in order to fit in. They can choose more then once. They are supposed to wrap it around the pegs according to the questions.

The outcome will look like a messed up colurful thread structure. Data such as Girls for Graphic Design UG-2 of age 19 feel prssured to smoke cigarettes the most will be interepreted. After the 2 day process, the exact number of students that feel succumbed to do each of the activities will be mentioned.

IMG_2697.jpg
IMG_2710.jpg
IMG_2714.jpg
IMG_2724.jpg
IMG_2706.jpg
IMG_2727.jpg

Feel free to reach out for a collaboration or a conversation!

© Aishwarya Jare